Thursday, July 26, 2012

The Journey to Four...

We are expecting!

I felt it was high time I wrote an official post on our pregnancy, given we have sailed into second trimester and have announced our news to the world already :).

This baby was planned (kind of). Here's the deal - we knew we didn't want Wyatt to be an only child. I also knew that contemplating a second child and all that goes with newborns (poop, no sleep, throw up, daycare bills that rival a house payment, pediatrician visits, no social life beyond playdates, etc..) I would never.ever.ever make the leap. I began to focus on the AMAZING parts of parenthood (that sweet baby smell, the first "I love you", the kisses, the proud moments, fuzzy heads, snuggles, laughter and adorable clothing)-- after that, I closed my eyes... we didn't try NOT to try... and boom-- one month later, here we are. A double pink line. A bun in the oven and head in the toliet (thanks, Shanisty... can't think of a more true statement!)

Thus far, it has not been as difficult as I remember with Wyatt. That little guy required a daily dose of Zofran, a LOT of napping and an incredibly understanding husband. I don't have time for that this go-round. God has interceded big time. I have had minimal nausea (although I did christen the foilage in Sand Destin, our front yard and several garbage cans) only four weeks or so of sleepwalking through my entire day and I have (somewhat) been able to function at home.

Smells continue to haunt me. This is my downfall. I remember cleary with Wyatt that I couldn't stand anyone to cook around me and working in a hospital was especially challenging. Last week, someone left something too long in our deptartment refrigerator- and I can't even tell you the outcome of that.

But, all -in-all-- I really can't complain. I got to see the little bean at 8 weeks (blob on a screen) and again yesterday- little fingers, little toes, head, nose the whole bit. It is truly amazing to witness all those changes going on in just under a month. Incredible stuff. It's a wonder I'm not laying in a bed hibernating for nine months :).

Wyatt is excited and talks about his baby "sister" all the time. He is convinced its a girl, and will not discuss the other possibility. Makes me a bit nervous for September 4, but we are including him in the entire process so he will be there to see for himself. I am truly happy that we waiting four years to have our second. I have felt like I have gotten to enjoy my little guy and it is a wonderful thing for him to understand what is happening (kind of!) and to see him engage with the baby before its birth. I know he will be an incredible helper and thinking of him with his precious sibling makes my heart sing!

So, that's it... in a nutshell. I do feel a bit guilty because everything is moving so fast and I am not reading up on the size of my baby in comparsion to fruit or researching SIDS every five seconds. I am also not keeping a "pregnancy" journal. I am hoping a few pictures along the way and this blog will help remind me of this sweet journey down the road. We are excited- I guess real parenthood can begin!



2 comments:

The Ramey's said...

Number 2 is all about survial :)

Amanda Skelton said...

"I am not reading up on the size of my baby in comparsion to fruit."
LOL, I hate when people do that anyways!!