Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Detour


Anna's Splash Party!
Delaney has found her nose :)
And... more CARS!



As you can tell, the birthday festivities continued all the way to Atlanta. The weekend after Wyatt's party, we ventured back to my hometown for my 10-year high school reunion, and never can we enter my parents house without presents :) So, Wyatt had round three of the big hoo-rah.

It is hard to believe that it has been 10 years since graduation. It is also hard to believe how different my life is than what I expected just a decade ago. I always envisioned myself in a big city rather than a tiny suburb, driving something other than what I drove in high school and writing life -changing and thought-provoking pieces for Time or the Atlanta Journal Constitution. My historical fiction would have been finished and my queries would be sent all over the country rather than collecting dust on the desk that used to be in my office (pre-baby, of course :) and is now in the corner of my bedroom.

In reality- Starbucks and Einstein Bros. have been replaced with Cotton Candy flavored Go-Gurt (which by the way- there is something invariably wrong with carnival flavored yogurt packaged like a Popsicle) my dreams of a luxury SUV have been put on hold -along with the story ideas rattling around in my head.

You know what, though? It's okay. It's better than okay. I wouldn't trade a big empty loft for my comfortable, crazy and chaotic home if my life depended on it. There is nothing more appealing than a birthday party with my two favorite boys or my backyard at sunset.

God certainly has a sense of humor- I am so thankful for all of those unanswered prayers. Those dreams from 10 years ago? Life may have stepped in and created a detour, but regardless of whats ahead or how I'm going to get there- one thing is certain: I am going to enjoy the journey.

No comments: