Saturday, May 14, 2011

And then there was more

As you know, a week ago we were preparing for Wyatt to have outpatient surgery- both emotionally and logistically. I had gotten medical leave approved at work to be out for two weeks of recovery, I had grilled our pediatrician and ENT ruthlessly about post-op expectations and Mark had taken Tuesday off so that he could be there for the procedure.

All that was left was the phone call from the surgery center telling me what we needed to be there. On Monday, Wyatt woke up with a low-grade fever complaining that he didn't feel good. The anesthesiologist beat me to the punch and called before I could reach for the phone. They had gotten both the ENT's and the pediatrician's office notes, and operating on a two-year old with a heart murmur had apparently raised some red flags. The tests that were ran were not conclusive enough for him to feel comfortable putting a toddler under, nor did they indicate that he did not have more serious issues. At that, the surgery was post poned until we saw a Pediatric Cardiologist.

I tried not to get rattled as I made phone calls, retrieved referrals and set the appointment. I would be lying if I didn't said that Wednesday afternoon loomed over my head for the first half of the week. We had absolutely breezed through Wyatt's first three years of life- I had counted myself lucky on many occasions that to-date we had only been to the E.R. once- but what if the entire time, something was wrong? What if my child did have a condition that we were unaware of? As I fretted, Mark consoled. My friends prayed, called, texted and encouraged me more than they will ever know.

I honestly couldn't focus on much of anything last week. Wednesday afternoon rolled around, and we got the good news I had been hoping for. His murmur is in fact innocent, which means there is a sound, but no physical abnormality with the heart. We couldn't have gotten a better report. For the first time in three days, I could breathe.

Six appointments and twelve tests later, Wyatt's tonsillectomy is scheduled for June 14th, and I couldn't be more relieved!


4 comments:

Rachel @ daily dunmore said...

Wonderful news!

Fainfamilyupdates said...

wow Rachel--what a blessing. what a praise!

LB said...

so glad that Wyatt is fine!!!!!

Two weeks of recovery?!!! That sounds brutal!! Will he be in a lot of pain?

Rachel said...

I am hoping that recovery is a lot quicker than that and they have given me "worst case" scenario. Also, they are giving him liquid Lortab, so I am crossing my fingers that it will make the first week bearable :)