Saturday, May 14, 2011

Pleasant Grove








Last Saturday we had the privilege to help with the tornado relief efforts. Our team was assigned to a neighborhood right outside of Birmingham, and specifically to assist the Smith's, a sweet couple in need of debris cleanup and tree removal.

Marvin is 82 and Barbara is 75. They have been married for all of 6 years, and were positively the cutest people I have ever met. Both worked along side of us all day, and got teary eyed when trying to express their gratitude. Barbara gave all of us multiple hugs and talked in disbelief of the devastation that surrounded them. Words cannot express and pictures do not show the magnitude of the destruction. It is like nothing I have ever seen in my entire life. It was all I could do not to cry- yet out of something so terrible, has come a great deal of good.

I was blown away by the amount of volunteers and churches that had come together to help. I thank God for the opportunity to be among them, and I look forward to volunteering more in the days to come throughout the road to recovery. Please continue to pray for those affected by these storms!

No comments: