If there is one thing I have learned this past year, it's that potty training is not for the faint of heart.
It is not for the person who enjoys knocking out a six month project in a mere day and a half. Nor is it for the parent who prides themselves on predictability, or the mom who smugly refers to herself as the 'schedule queen'.
Potty training, which by many is viewed as the pinnacle of parenthood-- the true test of mastering the mysterious realm of toddler world, is the most challenging, frustrating, hysterical, emotionally draining, beat-your-head-against-the-wall journey I have ever taken.
I was not prepared. Like everything else that has come with this ever-changing child of mine, I was completely inept for what it would take to get my two-year-old officially out of diapers.
Don't reach for the champagne just yet. We are still not there. I had to sit on my hand last week to keep from knocking a woman out in the grocery store when she told me her 23- month old was done was proudly sporting Elmo undies- IN PUBLIC. WITH NO ACCIDENTS. Thank God self control won out.
If someone had told me three years ago that I would be that mom- the one that shrieks for joy and produces ACTUAL tears at the sight of poop in the potty, I would have told them they were as crazy as the carnies at the Alabama State Fair. Lo and behold-- I am that mom. Funny how that happens.
After Disney, we are back in boot camp. For now, this is life as we know it. As for all those other schedule queens out there, take heart. I am in the same boat... and still searching for that darn proverbial paddle :)
After Disney, we are back in boot camp. For now, this is life as we know it. As for all those other schedule queens out there, take heart. I am in the same boat... and still searching for that darn proverbial paddle :)
3 comments:
GOOD LUCK!!!! I'm planning on knocking that out when I have 2 weeks off from school in May - PRAYING it'll just "happen" :). There will be plenty of running around with no bottoms (for Will, of course) and hopefully a lot of success (hey, a mom can dream right?)!
wyatt is going to be so mad when he grows up and sees these pics one day :) lol
Then you see the light at the end of the tunnel only to have your schedule turn into theirs, or I should say their bladders schedule... Which by the way is when you get to dinner out, you have gottne their food ready and finally think yum and grab that fork to dive in... when the sweet voice says "Mommy I gotta go".
So enjoy Disney and a few meals before you see the light.
No more diapers is nice but there comes a price!
Amanda
Post a Comment