Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The Holidays- Post Mortem



Happy New Year!! HELLO 2011...

Well we survived. I can't say I was sad to see the Christmas tree come down and the decorations dragged back into the attic- the house seems much, much bigger and the exhaustion and overwhelming "to-dos" are over.

Not to say we didn't have a magical Christmas, in fact- it was just that but I am seriously tired. It may have something to do with our late night on New Years, but hey- we had fun :)

Now we are in full swing preparations for our next big adventure... DISNEY!!! I am incredibly thrilled that we have moved our trip up to March (thanks to our fantastic in-laws) I have become somewhat of a Disney guru overnight... researching restaurants and interviewing friends- but it has been a lot of fun. I am like the proverbial kid in a candy store... bouncing off of walls and discussing Mickey and Goofy with my two-year-old (who doesn't even understand the awesomeness of whats to come :) Anyways, I literally can't wait.

And the adventure after that? Well, my husband seems to think it is THAT time. I am just not sure I am there yet... I can't explain it except to say I just don't have the urge to have another child. Before you go screaming for the hills, or cry yourself to sleep at night, I am not saying that it won't ever happen...I am, however, waiting for that baby bug to bite. And it hasn't. Apparently, it has sunk its teeth into my husband-- but I am a-okay with the perfectly healthy, smart-as-a-whip, wear-you-out-so-much-your-teeth-hurt one I've got.

Our life seems complete. End of story. Now, for the question of the year to all those moms who have two or are expecting two-- did the urge suddenly hit? Did your child turn a certain age and you forced yourself to be okay with another? Did you finally hit some burst of energy, or just momentary insanity?? I really do want to know. Mark thinks that I just need to dive right in and then once the bundle arrives, it will be perfect. But oh, dear Lord- I almost didn't survive the first- how on Earth will I survive a second?

5 comments:

Amy said...

Hey.. we are only 2 hours away from Orlando. What's your trip time line? Maybe we could get together so you could meet Lily- she'll be here by then!

LB said...

Just wanted to say that for me the adjustment to two was so much easier than to one!!! And we just jumped into two more based on what I wanted the age difference to be. Anyway to encourage you, with #2 you've already adjusted to parenthood so it's not such a huge change.

Jennifer said...

There is NOTHING wrong with waiting if you are not ready!! My best friend has two girls, 6 years apart, and she thinks it's the greatest! My sister and I are 4 years apart. My husband was an only child and always says he loved it.

My boys are 18 months apart and while it was a lot easier than I originally thought it was going to be, it is still a constant challenge and I always worry that I am not giving both children the individual attention they need. My prayers are that they will grow up being best friends and have a constant companion.

Btw, I got the baby bug again when Austin was only about 6 months old and was pregnant again by the time he was 9 months. If the baby bug hasn't bit yet, don't rush it, I'm sure it will come eventually!

Dorminey Days said...

Girl, hop on the bandwagon!!! I must say I wouldn't go back to our familly of three for nothing. I love having two little ones running around.:) By the way, I'm so jealous of Disney. I can't wait to take our family too. You will have so much fun!

Stephanie Craycraft said...

I have to tell you Ms. Rachel....with Cooper, the baby bug hit me....and the funny thing was, it Tony at the same time....SHOCKING, as we really didn't plan on anymore after the twins. I will say, you will know when you are both ready....we realized that we had just survived 15 months..yes, do the math, the twins were 24 months when Cooper was born....of the hardest tasks of our lives, and we SURVIVED!!! We just felt that we had enough love and desire in our home to make it complete by adding one more....and yes, we wanted another boy!!! You will know when you are ready to expand your family...and their is nothing wrong with waiting...you STILL are young!!! (any remember, your pregnancy this time....will involve a two year old all the way, who will not understand that you are sick, tired, or just don't have the energy)