Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Things we don't understand...

On Sunday, Mark and I were on a back road in Helena when a dozen or so police vehicles raced by escorting an ambulance. We knew something was wrong- but we didn't have a clue what it could be.

Upon reading the newspaper the following day, my mother in law called me to let me know that a two-year old child had escaped from her parents house and ran next door just in time for a teenager to be backing into the driveway. He did not see the little girl, and I think you can figure out the rest of the story.

I have been so consumed with this situation that I literally have had nightmares. Because I have a child so close in age to the little girl that was killed, it hits very close to home with me. My heart aches for both families involved - their lives will never be the same. Wyatt is such a little escape artist, and is so fast that I have no doubt that this could have happened to us. I have had Mark check the back fence several times since Sunday, making sure there is no way Wyatt could get out. I am much more cautious when getting Wyatt in and out of the car and I am watching him like a hawk every minute that I am with him.

We are now looking at different ways to childproof- but ultimately I know that Wyatt is in God's hands. There are so many things that happen in this world that we can't explain and I know we will never understand them on this side of heaven. As a mom though, it is so hard not to constantly worry about your little ones.

My prayers are with this precious family- what a horrible tragedy.

2 comments:

loyo03 said...

That is absolutely terrible! I remember this happening to a baby in my hometown several years ago--luckily he survived. I will definitely be keeping this family in my thoughts and prayers. We all need to go home and hug our little ones:(

Anonymous said...

The teenager that was driving was one of Ryan's little brothers best friends...really good kid. He was on his way to church. It breaks my heart, and has really weighed heavily on ryan and I....