A couple of weeks ago, I was asked by our pastor to read scripture during the Ash Wednesday Service. To say the least I felt honored and humbled by the request, and who can say no to a minster? So, I heartily agreed, and put all nervousness aside.
Surely, it wouldn't be that difficult- I would know ahead of time what passage I would be reading, the words would be right in front of me at the pulpit and I have never been one to be frightened of public speaking- no biggie, right?
I practiced the reciting Joel 12: 1-2, and 12:17 this week. I practiced out of my New Living Translation thinking it would be very similar to the Methodist Church's translation. Upon arriving early at the service I learned that I would be the VERY FIRST reader. Uh oh.
A lump began to form in my throat as I read over the passage I would be reading - the church's version this time...several words crept in that I had not seen that week, such as aged (is is AGED or AG ED?) and bosoms vs. chest (Do I really have to say that word in front of the ENTIRE congregation?) and of course the sanctuary was packed.
As the service began, my heart was pounding, my palms were sweaty and I definitely could not focus. I took my place in front of the pulpit and began to read- I literally COULD NOT wait to get off that stage. I knew I was flying through the passage, but I couldn't help myself... at least I didn't stumble with the terminology too much, but it felt like I was reading a novel up there... I think I had the longest lesson to read out of all four readers!
It was such a relief to get off that stage, ya'll. Mark said I did well (fast but good). One thing is for sure, I have developed an immense appreciation for pastors. There is no way on God's green earth that I could stand on the other side of that pulpit each week. Glad I did it, but glad its over :)
2 comments:
You were great!!! I am fine speaking in front of a group of kiddos, but could NEVER do adults!
I second that!! I can talk to little ones all day long .. but put me in a group of adults there is no way I could. You did great!
Post a Comment