Thursday, June 25, 2009

Here He Comes...

As Wyatt's birthday approaches, I have found myself wanting to record his birth story. In all the haze that surrounded the days, weeks and months after he got here, I never took the time to write it all out in his baby book- (shocker, I know.)

Anyways, this is a long post... but an important one to our family, and something I want to be able to look back on. And, furthermore, who doesn't LOVE a good birth story?

July 8, 2008 - 40 Week appt. with my OB, and Wyatt's due date. I will spare you all the details about how hot, swollen, big and miserable I was. Dr. McDreamy proceeds to tell me that I am only 1 cm. dilated, and he pushes the induction date back to the following Monday- a week later. I refrain from kicking McDreamy in the head with the closest stirrup-strapped foot. In fact, I think he would have gotten more mango toe nail polish in his face than he had bargained for, if he wasn't just so darn cute.

July 11, 2008 - My last day at work- my co-workers take me to a joint called "Mr. Wang's" promising that Chinese food would make the baby come. At that point, I was ready to drink Karo syrup by the gallon, but if a little Kung Pao chicken might do the trick- then by all means- bring it on.

That evening, the Braxton Hicks contractions re-appeared, as they always did before Mark and I went to sleep. Mark lined the bed with garbage bags just in case. After 10 months of absolute misery, I had given up hope. Wyatt was just going to make house in my belly forever.

July 12, 2008 - Went with my SIL and MIL and future BIL to look at wedding reception sites. My MIL hit every speed bump and curve in the Birmingham metro area, trying to get Wyatt to budge. My BIL looked a little squeamish as we discussed what we would do if my some miracle my water did break- he actually asked if he could move to the front of the car, away from the hideously pregnant woman. I can't say that I blamed him.

That evening around 11:00 as we were getting ready to hit the sack, I mentioned to Mark that I felt a little funny, and I kept feeling these tight jabs that took my breath away. At that he rolled over and fell asleep. Bless him- my sweet concerned husband.

Midnight - I woke up in severe pain and looked at the clock. I had been asleep for less than an hour. I woke Mark up an told him to time my contractions- at that he mentioned that we didn't need to because we were heading to the hospital that night to be induced anyways, and he needed his rest. Yes, you ding dong- we will be at the hospital in 12 HOURS. Thank you for reminding me, I guess I had forgotten.

So, I timed them myself for the first 30 minutes while my better half visited with the sandman. Whether they be false or not, I was feeling something every four minutes. I woke Mark up and told him that if he didn't start counting I was driving myself to the hospital. They were now three minutes apart- and they hurt BAD.

Mark mentioned it might be a good idea to call St. Vincents- GEE, you think?!? Of course, they told us to jump in the car and get to the hospital as soon as possible. While M. was on the phone, I was mopping ... I mean how could I bring a baby home to dirty floors?

By the time we got to the hospital I was completely effaced but still only one cm. dialated. When the sweet nurse told me that yes, I was in "real" labor I would have jumped for joy.. except between the IV, heart monitor and contractions I couldn't move. We called our parents and told them to get moving... because Wyatt was really coming this time. The nurses moved me to a private room where I labored for two hours, and Mark slept in between hand squeezes.

At four a.m., the nurse checked me again, and I was at 4 c.m., she called the anesteologist for the epidural, and I have never felt such sweet relief in all my life- if I could I would have gotten that baby in the parking lot.

At 5:30 a.m. I had progressed to 6 cm. Still no family there- I don't think they realized how fast he was coming- we were told we had until lunchtime...

7:30 a.m. Mark's family arrives, I am at 9.5 c.m. - the doctor breaks my water (which by the way- McDreamy was not on call so I got stuck with an old geiser who swapped fishing anecdotes with my husband. I was crushed.. how could Dr. H desert me in my time of need?!) Anyways, the old man spots a meconium stain in my water and calls in the NICU nurses just to be on the safe side... I can't even tell you how relieving this information was to hear- ha.

8:00ish- I am 10 cm and ready to push. The nurse offers a mirror and to my horror, I see things I never, EVER want to see again. I start yelling for her to put it away. I push, and push and push.

8:42 a.m. - Wyatt is here. He arrives slimy, screaming and kicking, but beautiful. He weighs 8 pounds, 2 ounces. The old dude remarks that this "isn't one you would throw back" - charming and hilarious. I just love having my baby compared to a fish- awesome.

The moment felt surreal, almost to the point that I thought I was dreaming. But, there he was in all of his splendor- my baby boy.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

This is not all true. I timed contractions for an hour at home. Granted I did sleep between them, which made the math more difficult, but I did time every stickin' one of them. That's why after an hour I called St. Vincents. It wasn't a stroke of genius, the contractions were at the right intervals to go to the hospital, so I told them we were on the way.
-Loving Husband

Amanda said...

I am so glad you shared your birth story!! I can't believe Wyatt is about to be ONE!

Rachel said...

WHO sleeps between contractions?!? I certainly wasn't. You are such an OLIS :)

Trista Brom said...

Rachel - you are one of the funniest people I know! I love your story! Thank you for sharing it!