... I so wanted this post to be all about Wyatt's party. But, you see- I really need the pictures to be able to adequetly talk about how much fun we had, how proud I was of those Elmo cupcakes we slaved over and stressed about, (which turned out oh so cute by the way) and the adorable way he sang 'Happy Birthday' to himself.
But the pictures are still on my Dad's camera card, in Atlanta. I forgot to download in all the birthday madness, and my repaired camera arrived one day too late. Sigh. Just for scrapbooking purposes, I will add them to the blog at some point, but much to the demise of my OCD self, it won't be today- and this blog will just have to be out of order. Oh the horror!
On to what has really been weighing on me lately. As you, my faithful readers know, I will put anything on this blog- well okay, not anything, but close to it. I love spilling my thoughts, as heavy, random or disconnected as they might be. Lately I have been overwhelmed and lost in these thoughts, and trying to make sense of them myself. This summer has been chaotic, busy and as carefree as we could make it. We have burned up the interstate and made good use of our vacation days. We have visited friends and family, couples with children and without, single friends, newlyweds and those who have been married for a lifetime. We have taken time for ourselves- both on canoe trips with the boys or beach trips with the girls.
We celebrated out third anniversary, made plans for our future while hashing out childcare and diving up household responsibilities. This third year brings a new sense of the permanence of marriage. the first two years I often thought to myself "What is so hard about this? There is no work involved in marriage- we love each other- this is a piece of cake!"
I am not sure if any of you shared those same sentiments, but slowly I began to realize that marriage truly does take work. It is not something you can sail through, or that is supposed to be held is some stark comparison to others, as if you are fighting for a spot on a reality show. The thrill of the chase, the butterflies on a first, second, third or tenth date are replaced with a sense of comfortability. We are okay with silences, I don't get embarrassed by anything in front of Mark, and he knows me better than I know myself on most days. Not to say that the weight of responsibility of parenthood, of home ownership, of finances and budgets and work and scheduling, of whatever- doesn't bear down on us- because it does. But, we are making it- and most days, we are thriving. Most days the hills are higher than the valleys are low. And that, I count as a success. My husband is my safe place. And this work? It's all worth it :)
1 comment:
Girl, I know what you mean. Marriage is alot of work. The first year for us was the hardest. It is still alot of work and life is always getting in the way. But some how when I look at Chad I still have those same feelings of our first date. I respect him more now because I know how hard he works everyday to make our lives better. Only someone that really cares about me would do that. I can't imagine the journey of marriaage with anyone else. I know with out a doubt that God set him aside for me :)
Post a Comment