Monday, December 14, 2009

A Christmas Party and A Pity Party

Shelly
The girls

Emily, the sweet hostess with the mostest!
These are a few pictures from a Christmas party we attended Saturday night. We had a great time catching up with some old friends and celebrating the season. Thanks Emily for hosting such a fun and festive party!
It was the highlight of the weekend, and I am about to tell you why.
We ended up having to cancel a playdate and skip our Friday night Sunday School party, because (you guessed it) Wyatt was sick again. Another high fever combined with a sleepless night and another Saturday morning spent in the urgent care clinic absolutely did me in. I cried all weekend- for my poor, sick little baby and for myself. I felt guilty for taking him to Indiana where he contracted the Swine Flu which started this whole mess, guilty for starting him in daycare, guilty for having to work full time- I was just (and still am) absolutely heartsick.
After 27 presriptions, $400 in co-pays and four rounds of antibiotics... I just feel completely overwhemed. Six weeks later we are right back where we started. I just want my little guy healthy before Christmas.
Now, I know that things could be a lot worse. I work with families all the time whose kids are dealing with terminal illnesses and I am SO grateful that I am not one of them- I honestly do not know how they do it. I kept reminding myself of this all weekend, but I just could drag myself out of the pit I was in- and the pity party continued.
After all of this childcare drama, I hope that we can find a solution that works for our family. I know a lot of you reading this may wonder why I don't just stay home with him, but there are many reasons why this is not an option- plus I love my job... I know many, many mommas out there feel guilty for either staying home or not staying home, and for each one there are reasons why it works for them and their situation. For me and for our situation- I have to work. One day it would be nice to work part-time to spend more time with Wyatt, but right now, I simply can't.
Being a mother and managing a household is difficult no matter how you slice it- so cheers to all of you who make it work- sometimes its not so fun to be a wonderwoman :)






4 comments:

LB said...

awww, Rachel, I am so sorry. I hope the new childcare plan helps to fix things a bit.

This Texas Momma said...

:( I'm sorry that Wyatt is sick again! I hope that your new childcare situation is a good solution. I know how stressful and heartwrenching going to work can be, but good for you for standing up for what is right for you and your family!

Amy said...

I totally understand how you feel. It sucks. You are doing the right thing with Wyatt, and, there will be a time when he won't be sick. Are ear infections one of his main problems? If so, I recommend sooner rather than later the tubes. They are life changing- wish we had gotten David his earlier.

Kathy said...

You would be weird NOT feeling like you do... we're hoping the little guy gets better asap! AND that the childcare thing works itself out!!! Are there any churches that have "pre-school" programs for kids his age? I know some here go from 9-2... not quite an entire work day, but most of it.