Wednesday, November 11, 2009

San Diego Part One

We are home! No time to download the hundreds of pictures we took with the piles of laundry and mountains of mail to go through... BUT I had to at least post about the first 24 hours. What an incredible trip... stay tuned for more...love you all!


On Friday, I spent the majority of the day in a bit of a haze. Maybe because I was surviving on only a few precious hours of sleep or perhaps the exhaustion of a five hour flight and a two hour time difference had set in. The minute we landed in San Diego, however, my adrenaline kicked in and I quickly regained my energy. I felt like the proverbial kid in a candy store. Only this candy store was huge... complete with sky scrapers, giant Naval vessels, a swanky downtown, the pacific ocean and tons of native Californians to feed my people-watching addiction. Nope, there was no way I was going to catch up on any rest when it was 75 degrees outside with no cloud in sight, much to my husband's dismay.
We set out towards the Gas Lamp District only a few blocks from our hotel. I knew I needed to save my appetite for my birthday dinner later that evening, but the small bag of pretzels I was given on the plane had long since abated my hunger, and I was starving. After surveying the area, we settled on an energetic Mexican Cafe complete with fake palm trees, a patio in the sun and a $5 Margarita.
After inhaling chicken tacos and a giant margarita, the sun dropped out of sight and took the warm temperature with it. Since I was freezing, and in my rush to get out the door I forgot a jacket, we headed back to the hotel to get ready for dinner.
To celebrate my 27th birthday, Mark had made reservations at Candelas on Coronado, a breath-takingly beautiful restaurant complete with french-inspired decor and a killer view of the San Diego skyine. After an appetizer of pan-seared scallops, I enjoyed lemon curry shrimp... and the best part was the chocolate mousse topped with a raspberry sauce and a candle. It was the first dinner in a long time that Mark and I were able to enjoy uninterrupted conversation without having to refill sippy cups or pick up goldfish off the floor. :) It was romantic and beautiful, but somehow different from the days before we had Wyatt. The conversation always slipped back to "I wonder what he is doing now, " or "Isn't that the cutest when he does that?"
Of course we already missed our little monkey like crazy, and the week was just beginning.

No comments: