Thursday, July 30, 2009

As I was hoping to be a croup-free family...

I have been crossing my fingers for almost 13 months now that I would never have to join the moms-who-spend-all-night-holed-up-in-the-bathroom-with-the-shower-on club. As I begin the afternoon with frizzy hair, puffy eyes and achy bones, the realization has hit me that I am indeed a member of this not-so-elite club.

Wyatt sounded like a barking seal when I picked up from daycare yesterday, and the wretched cough seriously developed in a matter of eight hours, because when I dropped him off the only hint of a oncoming cold was the tiniest semblance of a runny nose.

The cough and the breathing issues got worse as the night wore on, and Mark found himself on the couch sitting Wyatt on his lap and patting his back to help him breathe even before I returned from bible study. I checked on him round the clock last night, and I tell you that little boy was making the scariest and most awful noises I had ever heard, and our 8:45 appointment with Dr. Jolly could not come quick enough.

Thank goodness we now have a steroid prescription, and Wyatt is resting comfortably. The pediatrician is pretty certain he will be fine, we just have to keep a close eye on him throughout the weekend to make sure that he is breathing- how comforting. I am pretty certain that I won't be getting any rest for the next few days...

3 comments:

Amy said...

Is he weezing? Did the doctor mention the possibility of a nebulizer with albuteral (that's the medicine you put in it)? Especially when combined with oral steriods, that stuff helps.

Kathy said...

Oh my goodness! Poor Wyatt! (and mommy and daddy) Hope he's doing better today!

The Ramey's said...

This is very scary...I hope things get better soon. Please let me know if I can do anything.