Friday, July 31, 2009

Update on Wyatt's Croup

Wyatt is having a terrible time with the steriods. Our pediatrician had to prescribe the strongest steroid available because Wyatt's windpipe was so swollen, and he felt confident that this was the only option to reduce the swelling so that he could breathe.

However, with each dose, Wyatt becomes very pale, listless and clammy. He just cries and cries and I can tell this prescription is making him feel awful. I talked to the doctor a few mintutes ago, and he said I must keep him on this medication through the weekend, and that most babies are miserable on this particular steriod. It is heartbreaking having to watch him suffer but if it is making my baby better than it is worth it.

I am curious, have any of your babies been on steriods before? Did they have the same reaction? I can't help but worry that something is wrong...I have never seen him like this before. On top of the medication issues, he is still weezing... the coughing seems to sound a little bit better than yesterday, so hopefully we are making some progress.

2 comments:

This Texas Momma said...

:( I am so sorry to hear how he is doing! Luke's been on steroids due to his asthma, which he got after a terrible case of RSV. We didn't have this kind of reaction though! I'm praying that things improve for both of you.

Amy said...

Yes, about a few weeks ago David was on an oral dose of Prelone after our run in with the emergency room in the middle of the night because he literally could not breath anymore. He, apparently, was having bronchiospasms related to his bronhitis and asthma symptoms (he's too young to officially diagnose w/ asthma). All that to say, he did not have the negative reactions that Wyatt is having, and they helped a lot. At the same time, he was prescribed albuterol in a nebulizer. That stuff made is heart beat really fast and made him jittery. That supposedly helps with the wheezing. I'm sorry he's having the reaction! How many more days is he supposed to take it?