Monday, February 16, 2009

Valentine's Day 2009

Saturday was the fifth Valentine's Day that I have celebrated with Mark... usually our tradition revolves around him cooking a big meal for me at home. This year with the baby, and literally EVERY single Saturday night being spent at home, I was determined for us to get out and let someone else do the cooking and cleaning. As I mentioned Friday, the grandparents graciously offered to keep Wyatt... and I made plans for Mark and I to hit the road.

So... a few weeks ago, I knew I wanted to take Mark to Bonefish Grill. We ate there once in Huntsville, and Mark went crazy over it, and it was some of the most delicious seafood I had ever had. However, we spent SO MUCH money (we are talking triple digits when you add in the appetizers, drinks and dessert) the first time we went, that Mark would never agree to go back... I knew I had to take matters into my own hands.

When I searched for locations, I was completely unaware that there was a Bonefish in B-ham. The only location that popped up on google in Alabama was in Montgomery. So, I thought it would be perfect- a road trip with the grandparents house right on the way. A few days later my co-workers informed me that there IS in fact, a Bonefish in B-ham... OOPS. I call- no reservations available. Montgomery it is- oh well... a nice road trip will give us more time together.

I never told Mark where we are going, he just gets on the interstate and heads south... an hour later he is really freaking out thinking that I am taking him all the way back to Auburn for some sentimental cross-state reminiscing. Finally, we pull up to the Bonefish in Montgomery, and he is very pumped that I chose this place... but he says to me, "Rach- you know there is one of these in Birmingham, right?"

So... I played dumb... "What, REALLY? I had no idea!" Eventually, I admitted it... and he thought it was funny. He said I always keep him on his toes... and we had a GREAT time. Honestly, I treasure our dates SO much now that we never really get a lot of chances to go out sans baby. Even if I had to keep slapping him to keep him from falling asleep the whole way home :)

A Valentine's Day bonus... I didn't even have to remind my husband to get me a card! He did it all on his own, and the personal, handwritten part was so, so sweet it brought a tear to my eye...

I love you, babe! Five years later you still make my heart melt!

p.s. - I took back some ill-fitting very expensive pants and this more than paid our bill-
WOO HOO! I can make do on my khaki/gray/black pants rotation at work :) Plus... no expensive martini's or dessert this time either- its amazing what you can save when you make an effort!

P.P.S. If you have never had the Ahi Tuna at Bonefish- I HIGHLY recommend it... holy cow, was it yummy!

No comments: