This past weekend, Mark and I had our parenting classes at St. Vincent's- this was a crash course for first-time parents and included everything from pregnancy, labor and delivery, nursing and infant-care basics. It was extremely informative, and very helpful. I think both Mark and I feel more at ease with taking care of our little one, and feel like we know a little bit more about what to expect.
They even had Mark wear a "sympathy belly!" It was hilarious to watch him try to bend over a lay down with a 30-pound baby belly on him. The instructor also added a band that went across his ribcage to have him feel how tight and breathless you are as a pregnant person, as well as she put a weight on his bladder. He said he had never been more miserable, and had a new-found appreciation for what I am going through. Now when I tell him I have heartburn, he actually takes me seriously and wants to help. It was a WONDERFUL experiment! The teacher also asked him what he would do if he was that pregnant and his spouse wanted to get "frisky" as she put it- he lifted up his head off the pillow at that point and said 'No Way! I want Chocolate!" The whole class was laughing hysterically. He put on quite a show.
They also had him changing diapers and quieting our "simuated' baby when he was crying- he did a great job! I can already tell I am going to have a hard time not telling him what to do. I know it is important to let him take care of the baby without me telling how to do every little thing- but it is so hard! I really had to focus on keeping my mouth shut.
The videos were very graphic and scary- it is really not a pretty picture- I just can't believe that you have your legs flailing up in the air and all of your privates out in the open. I mean I knew that is what happens, but Lord, it is NOT fun to watch, and to think oh my gosh- those doctors and those nurses are going to see me do THAT?!?
2 comments:
yes, but YOU don't have to see it. That's the best part. I was terrified of those videos, but you are blissfully unaware of what is going on "down there" during labor. Especially if you have an epidural!!
Believe me, when you are actually in labor, you don't care who see's what!
Post a Comment