Tuesday, March 4, 2008

The Wrath Of The Flu

Just when I thought I was going to make it through flu season without a hitch, the stomach virus shows it ugly head- and when you are 5 1/2 months pregnant, it is not pretty. I was having a great weekend, visiting with neighbors, grilling out and getting my haircut on Saturday, which was the most gorgeous day that we have had in a long, long time. We were looking forward to a great church service and Sunday school when we went to bed Sat. night. Then, I had the horrible realization as I ws running to the toliet at 2 a.m., that I might have a visit coming on from a nasty virus. Boy, was I right. I threw up for 12 hours straight and thought I was dying. Finally, around 2 in the afternoon, I was able to sit in the recliner and get down some ginger ale. I was so weak that I had to take Monday off just to gain my strength back and it was Monday evening before I could sustain even a bite to eat.

I felt so bad for our little guy! Mark was worried that I would need some IV action, but the doctor said that he and I seemed to be bouncing back. I saw Dr. Hudson (whom I LOVE!!) and he said only to things concerned him:

1. I am not gaining enough weight (This is the first time I have ever heard that!) Only 5 pounds since I became pregnant

2. My white blood cell count is way down- he said this could be due to the flu, but that I need to be eating a lot more protein on top of taking my prenatal vitamins.

He has also ordered me to be eating 300 more calories a day than whatI am currently consuming- red meat and green veggies- no junk. I feel like that is all I am doing- eating! and, I feel HUGE! Oh well, I am going to try to stomach as much meat and veggies as I can for our little guy.

On Sunday, Steph and Joey came by to check on me and they came bearing gifts for the baby! It was the only good thing tht happened all day, and it really cheered me up. Steph got him the cutest little jean overall set that was a little fishing outfit. It was Adorable! Also, she got him a bunch of Carter's onesies in these precious colors with little pants to match. She even managed to find him a pair of Polo Navy Blue pants for church. They are all SO CUTE!! Mark was so excited about his new little outfit. His fishing outfit will be perfect for next year when he is around 1 year old. YAY FOR AUNT STEPHANIE!!

I just knew this little one would be so spoiled! :) Steph, now you have to start having babies so that me and your mom can start spoiling you little ones!! ;)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, that sickness sounds miserable! Poor you!! You need to be eating some steak! When I was pregnant the only meat I wanted to eat was steak and quarter pounders from McDonalds. Try to enjoy this time of trying to gain weight. I mean when else do you try to gain weight? haha

Rachel said...

I know... I just have this feeling that I will get to the 7-month point and blow up like a whale :) I got my first maternity bathing suit the other day - the bottoms are huge, but I managed to fill them in! haha!