Tuesday, December 31, 2013

The apology to end 2013

I feel there are many, MANY things I have apologized for this year and many more apologies that should have been said but weren't.

I'm thinking this is as good a place as any to wrangle all those regrets at once, vow to to better and sail into the land of THIS YEAR I AM GOING TO GET IT TOGETHER, or, er, 2014.

So here goes:

1.  To those who ask quite regularly about when another post will get written, when I will update the blog or  when the next edition of the chaos that has become my life will be available- I am sorry. Here it is. Not quite  sure if these will start coming with any sort of regularity or not. You see, my brain has died, my home has  been taken over by wild animals and my free time has about gone to zilch. Not a whole lot left over at the end of the day to craft something meaningful, memorable or somewhat clever. But in 2014, I vow to try.

2. To my neighbor across the street (whose name I still have not learned)- I am sorry for the amount of times you have had to see me in my pajamas, with matted hair scrambling to wrangle a 20 pound baby while chasing a five-year-old around the corner who has managed to escape out the front door. I am sorry for screaming "GET IN THE CAR" for the 50th time when you are simply trying to enjoy your Tuesday morning latte. I am sorry for the naked baby wrapped in an over-sized throw that happened to get dropped on the driveway just at the exact time you walked out your front door to go to work. I know you think I am crazy- but revert back to #1 where I mention my brain has died- it really did. I now forget to bring the diapers in the house until we are completely and totally out and I have just taken the last one off of my child, whom I can't leave on the changing table... insert blanket on the couch on my way out the door to retrieve the diapers... and add in 30 mile an hour wind, and there ya have it. Again, I am SO, so sorry. Really, in 2014 I vow to look a little more presentable, and try to keep my naked children inside.

3. To my colleagues and co-workers, I am sorry for the amount of times there has been something unidentifiable on my clothing- nine times out of ten it is probably spit up (or perhaps something worse). Or the amount of times you have wondered if I brush my hair or sleep in my clothes. I realize the gray hairs have multiplied and the lack of sleep has taken it's toll. I appreciate the many times you have keep these thoughts to yourself... I promise to attempt to use my iron this year, and actually style my hair rather than sport my go-to "messy" ponytail look.

4. To my dear friends and family whose birthdays, anniversary's or special moments I have forgotten- I am sorry. These days, it's a win if I can remember a card for my mom or husband. I am sorry for the deflated and belated well wishes I post two days too late when I finally get the chance to check my news feed. I am sorry to my sweet niece whose performances, Christmas pageants and who-knows-what-else I have missed. Trying to be in six places at once has simply done me in. Even when I think I can get somewhere, and be on time... chances are someone in our new family of four will be sick. That's one thing I can pretty much count on. In 2014 I promise to complete brain activities proven to increase memory. And... will take my vitamins. If I can remember.

5. To my other new-mommy friends- I am sorry for the lack of home-baked meals I have brought as you welcomed your new bundle of joy. The art of the frozen-casserole drive thru and the Publix Meal Deal has become second nature. After our second, I was happy to have a Tombstone pizza to eat between feedings, so I hope you are okay with the fact that I can no longer spend an afternoon in the kitchen whipping up Poppyseed Chicken. It might be 18 years before I can pull together a home-cooked meal again. Not making any promises on this one. Although- I  do drop that take-out off with A LOT of love :).

This year has been insane. My disclaimer is that we are so very, very blessed to have welcomed our fire cracker of a daughter into this world. She is a precious as she is head-strong and as perfect as she is exhausting. I am so grateful to have completed our family, and our lives were probably more organized a year ago, but also a great deal more dull.

Happy New Year!




No comments: