I know, I was patting myself on the back too. In fact, I was thinking of ways to nominate myself for some mom-of-the-year-award for oh, the entire 45 minutes to Wyatt's school. Even the traffic seemed to lighten. In fact, there was no traffic. Given the fact that I left before the crack of dawn, I was feeling pretty darn smug. Right up until the point that I pulled into the parking lot only to discover that I was the first in the carpool line. And the lights weren't on. And... OH S%^*.
It's a national holiday. No school. My husband is 500 miles away, the in-laws are dealing with a family crisis. And... I am pretty much SOL. No vacation time left. No such thing as working from home in my world. Just as I was beginning to imagine the horror of a three-and-a-half year old running rampant through the office terrorizing my co-workers and pissing my boss off, I decided to desperately dial the drop-in care at the hospital, praying for a miracle. A miracle I got. I must be living right, because the heavens parted and allowed me the last spot in the preschool room.
At lunch, given that Wyatt had failed his hearing screening at school the week before, I called an audiologist friend that works at the same campus as me. She graciously agreed to retest him, reassuring me that he probably just got distracted the first go-round. We headed over to the clinic, only to discover a flat line test, and definite hearing loss. Two appointments later, and my work day shot- we are bounding towards the land of tubes. Thus far this year, we have paid for our ENT's trip to Maui and new BMW-- now we can add the lake house to our tab :)
This day was stressful, and we have many more hurdles to get through the rest of this week- however, I am so very thankful that this is all that I have to complain about. These are things that can be fixed. My family is healthy, my little boy will regain his hearing and I will make it through my surgery at the end of the week. I might be a nervous wreck, and feel like the worst mom in the world at times, but I am crawling along. As this day concludes, I can't help but laugh at the chaos and feel grateful for all that I have.
This new year has brought new perspective-- let's hope it sticks around :)
No comments:
Post a Comment