Thursday, October 16, 2008

New Sleeping Schedule

Okay, I am taking a break from the political posts for awhile... I think everyone knows where I stand. Back to life in the Olis household...

For the past couple of nights Wyatt has absolutely passed out after his dinner bottle and completely skipped his bedtime bottle. Last night he went down at 7:15, the night before at 7:30. I was so nervous that he would be waking up in the middle of night since we put him down so early but he slept straight through the night. YIPEE!!

The only problem we are having on the weekends and on my day off when I am home with him is getting him to go down for naps. He will get very fussy and when I get him settled down and asleep in my arms, I will try to lay him very gently down in his crip and creep out of the room. As soon as he realizes he is no longer in my arms the creaming begins. Thus, the only way i can get him to nap is by holding him. Doesn't really help to get anything done around the house, or to give me a break. Any suggestions? Is it okay to let him cry it out at naptime, or is he still too young?

Also the rice cereal we started him on makes him very very constipated, so I have gone back to just formula until his 4 month appt. when we will get the go ahead to start him on solid foods. What types of foods help with constipation to balance out the rice cereal? His poop looks like hard little rocks... no fun for him!

3 comments:

Amy said...

I wouldn't let him cry more than 10 minutes at his age. That's just me, though. David would only nap in our arms for several months, and we- the suckers that we are- let him. I didn't know what else to do. We did let him cry it out but waited until 6 months or so. Will he sleep in the bouncy? Or anywhere else?

LB said...

Rachel, how old is he? I am a cry-it-out mom in theory, though it is much harder said than done. If he is three months already, which I think he is, I say let him cry it out. You could start with just a few minutes at a time, like 3 minutes, then go check on him, comfort him, put him back down etc., and work your way to 10 minutes. I am firm believer that some times babies need to "work the stress out" through crying. I HATE doing it, though. But as always--do what works for you above all else!! Don't stress yourself out either way!!

Allyson said...

Yay for sleeping through the night!
He is doing great!

We did not let the girls cry it out until 6 months. And that was for naps and at night since they went through a phase. They really did not do well with naps until around then. They slept in their swings and in my arms. We would lay then down when they randomly fell asleep and rarely did they sleep in the cribs for naps. Granted, I was more concerned with a good nighttime ritual and did not work on the naps so much. It will come though! Dont stress about it. He is doing awesome!