Monday, October 27, 2008

Is this Normal?!











This week Wyatt used his exersaucer for the first time. Last week we used his Bumbo seat for the first time. Both toys produced the same result- Wyatt looking miserable with his head cocked to the left. He is 15 weeks old and still cannot hold his head completely upright for any length of time. I know as a mother you are constantly worried about milestones, but I guess for me this is the first one that I have been concerned about. For all you moms out there, is this normal, or should I be taking him to the pediatrician? Our next appt. isn't until November 2oth, so I have a while before our next well check-up. Everything else seems to be completly on par. he is a happy well-adjusted thriving (CHUNKY) baby. He is eating a ton (6 ounces every 3 hours) and weighs 15 pounds already. He just can't hold his head up by himself yet. Should I leave him in the exersaucer/bumbo to help him learn to keep his head up even though he is miserable? I must admit that maybe we didn't do tummy time as much as we should have because Wyatt hated it so much. he would just lay on his stomach and scream with his head buried in the carpet. Yikes. maybe now it is coming back to bite me! See Pictures below of him struggling with his new toys. Moms, Please give me feedback!!

4 comments:

LB said...

hmmm...I have no idea. Have you tried tummy time lately? Do you have any tummy time toys? A tummy time toy might help. I can't remember when Ada started holding her head up really well. I know we used the bumbo seat a lot at about 5 months, but we didn't have it before then. And that might have been when we started using the exersaucer as well. I think before that we mainly did the bouncy seat.

Allyson said...

leah did the same thing and she's fine. I wouldnt be concerned just yet. U r fine to wait until the appt. Though the pics are funny :)

Rachel said...

Oh good! Ya'll made me feel alot better :) I will start working on tummy time with him, I think a toy will help!

Amy said...

This is funny and YOU are funny. His head is to the RIGHT not the LEFT in all the pics, haha! I'm sure he's fine- don't sweat it. Just give it a little time. I also maintain my opinion that it's not his head that he's struggling with, it's the curvature in his back that he hasn't learned to hold his back in the upright position and thus his head plumps over because of this. I've seen him and he usually holds his head up FINE- it seems like it's only when he's in the 'sitting' position. Your spine has 4 curves- 2 concave and 2 convex. Newborns have all 4 curves concave and 2 must develop to be convex: 1 goes convex when they learn to hold their head up and 1 when they learn to sit. I think it's more of the sitting and him not being able to hold his body upright. I could be totally wrong, but that's my 2 cents.